If you’re living with a creative and adventurous child, photography is an incredibly rewarding skill to teach them. If you’re considering teaching your child how to take great photos, here are some key lessons that you should definitely work into the mix.
1. Holding a camera. Teaching your child how to hold a camera correctly will not only ensure that they’re holding the camera straight, it also ensures that they can learn early on how to reduce shaking and blurriness. You’d be surprised at how many people don’t know how to hold a camera correctly.
2. Camera modes. Take your child through the different modes that their camera has and the appropriate time to use each one. It is, however, always better to start them off using auto mode until they get the hang of things.
3. Exposure settings. Exposure settings may be a bit high level for younger children but if you are teaching photography to highschool students, definitely take them through ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.
(photo below courtesy Ashley Blencoe and Co. Photographic)
4. Rule of thirds. While this may not be something that very young children will be able to understand, the rule of thirds states that you should divide your image using 2 horizontal lines and 2 vertical lines. You should then position the most important elements along those lines or at the points where the lines meet. If this sounds too complicated, teach your child to simply place their subject off-center for now.
5. Backgrounds. Teach your child early on to make sure that their background is free from distractions or anything that might take away from their main subject.
6. Angles and perspective. Once your child is more comfortable with taking photos, teach them to experiment by looking at shots from a different perspective and to try out different angles.
Remember that you don’t need to invest in an expensive camera in order to introduce your child to the joys of photography. Start with something basic and affordable until you know that it’s a passion they would like to pursue.
TEACH PHOTOGRAPHY TO KIDS WITH OUR CURRICULUM BUNDLE
ONLY$175.00 $79.00 FOR A LIMITED TIME! (USE CODE KC79)
This Photography Curriculum Bundle for Kids is a fun yet informative way to teach beginning photography to children. This curriculum has been created specifically for kids ages 8-12. Use this bundle to start a photography club or after school program at your local elementary school, or teach your own kids! You can even use this program in kids camps over summer, winter or spring break! Purchase yours today at the special pricing!
Use this curriculum bundle to teach an after school kids club, a kids photo camp, a homeschool co-op class or even your own kids! Here's what's included:
16 Pages of layered .psd lesson files (including cover)
Basic instructions to edit in Photoshop and a list of fonts used
Lesson Plans & Attendance Tracker
Set of three activity sheets
Photographer badge template
Instructor notes outlining ideas for games and activities
Certificate of Completion Template
SAMPLE LESSONS & ACTIVITY SHEETS
Printable lessons cover the topics of History of Photography, Photographer's Toolkit, Exposure White Balance, Basic Settings, Composition, Basic Lighting, Basic Posing, and Careers in Photography.
You can split the lessons into 10 sections to span an approx. 45 minute 10 week course... or you could double up and create a 5 day session to span a summer camp, spring break or fall break camp.
Lessons come in layered .psd format for you to edit text & images as you wish. Also included are 3 activity sheets, an attendance chart, instructor notes, basic instructions for Photoshop and a list of fonts used.
The curriculum covers exactly what I need for my Basic Digital Photography workshop and has now prompted me to branch out into new worlds with teaching photography to children. I have found that not only do I love taking pictures and creating beautiful images, but that I love teaching others how to do the same!
Cindy J. - Reflections Photography
THIS OFFER ENDS IN: Normally$175.00 $79.00 (Use code KC79)
Set of 16 layered .psd lesson pages (including cover)
Instructions for Games
Coordinating PowerPoint Presentation
Matching PowerPoint Presentation to enhance visual displays
Includes 55 slides
Customizable (just add logo)
Card Game Template (Three Kings)
Designed to match seamlessly within the curriculum
A fun way for kids to learn ISO, shutter speed, aperture
Includes 30 layered .psd files
Basic game instructions and instructions for printing
Photographer Badge Template
Kids will love having their own "photographer" badge. Plus, it helps you remember their names! :). Instructions included with purchase on how to print these on your home printer or have them professionally printed.
Memory Card Game
Set of 20 card templates (10 matching pairs) featuring photographer tools of the trade
Basic Instructions to prepare files for printing
Basic instructions for the game
Set of three activity sheets
Attendance sheet to keep track of attendance
Certificate of Completion template when kids finish the class
Use codeKC79 to get this entire bundle for just $79!
Teaching kids photography is easy with this Basic Digital Photography for Kids curriculum. It covers exposure, the history of photography, composition and more! It's a fun yet informative way to teach kids photography and beginning photography to children. This curriculum has been created specifically for kids ages 8-12. Use this curriculum to start a photography club or after school program at your local elementary or school, use within a home school environment, or teach your own children! You can even use this program in kids camps over summer, winter and/or spring break!
THIS SPECIAL OFFER EXPIRES IN: (use code KC79)
Looks like you just missed this offer! Shop our store for our latest deals .
If you need to contact us with questions, feedback, testimonial or a suggestion, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All emails are typically responded to within 24 to 48 hours, except weekends and holidays.